Situated on the shore of Comox Bay the park honours the legacy and work of H. Mack Laing (1883-1982) and encompasses 8.3 acres of natural, coastal environs with trails that weave through the forest, along a stream, to the ocean.
This beautiful oceanfront property was originally owned by Hamilton Mack Laing, who built his home (Shakesides) here in 1950. In 1973, he gave the waterfront property to the Town of Comox to be used for the public’s enjoyment as a nature park, and since 1983, the Town of Comox has operated Mack Laing Nature Park, adding trails and interpretive signs to foster the public’s appreciation of nature.
In 2009, the Town of Comox, together with the Nature Trust of British Columbia, purchased three parcels of neighbouring land (including Mack Laing’s former property Baybrook) to expand the public greenspace along Brooklyn Creek and the Comox waterfront.
Hamilton Mack Laing (1883-1982) was a prolific naturalist, photographer, writer, artist and noted ornithologist, whose work from the Comox waterfront since 1922 earned him worldwide recognition.