Get a Building Permit

The building department for the Town of Comox regulates construction to a minimum standard recognized in the BC Building Code, the town’s building bylaw, the town's drainage infrastructure protection bylaw, and the town’s zoning bylaw. The preferred method to reach the building inspector is through email, alternatively, calls can be made to set up an appointment, or drop-in.  The inspector will be available from 8:30 - 9:00 a.m. and also from 1:00 - 1:30 p.m. Planning staff are also available to assist you with inquiries about land use and other development regulations (e.g., setback from lot line, building height, lot coverage, fence requirements, etc.) during regular office hours Monday - Friday from 8:30 - 4:30 p.m. 

Contact number: 250-339-2259

We understand that the building process can be complicated and that there are many regulations to navigate through. Town staff are knowledgeable and available to assist you with getting the information you need to complete your application.

After the completion of your application the following outlines the next steps:

  • Staff will review your plans and associated paperwork
  • Ensure the plans and paperwork meet all the zoning requirements, plumbing, drainage infrastructure protection controls and building codes
  • Issue the building permit
  • Inspect the work

The town issues the various types of permits: 

  • Residential and commercial buildings (new construction or alterations/additions to existing, which includes all decks)
  • All sheds. Sheds less than less than 10m sq must meet the zoning bylaw for setbacks and height, and sheds 10m sq and more must meet the zoning bylaw and BC Building Code
  • Plumbing permits
  • Fire sprinkler permits
  • Sign permits
  • Demolition permits
  • Wood burning appliances
  • Moving permits (for moving houses or mobile homes)
  • Swimming pool installation permits for pools over .6m in height
  • Retaining wall permits over 1.2m in height
  • Change of use or change of occupancy

Please note: except for the plumbing work, the town uses the A100 BP application form for most applications. As a valuable resource a list of required items is provided to complete your application.   

Gas and electrical permits are issued by the province through Technical Safety BC. The Land Title and Survey Authority of British Columbia (LTSA) is responsible for operating the land title and survey systems of BC.   

View a list of documents that will help answer questions you may have regarding your application for building or renovating. If you require further information, please contact the building department.