Mack Laing Park

Mack Laing Nature Park

This beautiful oceanfront property was originally owned by Hamilton Mack Laing, who built his home (Shakesides) on the property in 1950. He gave the waterfront property to the Town of Comox to be used for the public’s enjoyment as a nature park. Since 1983, the Town of Comox has operated Mack Laing Nature Park, adding trails and interpretive signs to foster the public’s appreciation of nature.

In 2009, the Town of Comox, together with the Nature Trust of British Columbia, purchased three parcels of neighbouring land (including Laing’s former property Baybrook) to expand the public greenspace along Brooklyn Creek and the Comox waterfront.

Hamilton Mack Laing (1883-1982) was a prolific naturalist, photographer, writer, artist and noted ornithologist, whose work from the Comox waterfront since 1922 earned him worldwide recognition.

Find the park on our map here.

Plan for the Park

In gifting his property to the Town of Comox, Mack Laing intended it to be used for public enjoyment, namely recreation and conservation. While Mr. Laing’s wish to see Shakesides turned into a natural history museum is not feasible with the funds also left to the Town in his will (1982), the Town is proposing an alternative option that aims to carry forward his goals of public education.

In 2017, the Town of Comox made application to the B.C. Supreme Court for an order varying the trust applicable to the money so as to allow funds to be used for construction and maintenance of a viewing platform on the site of Shakesides, once Shakesides has been removed. The platform would have a height and roofline replicating Shakesides and incorporate some materials from the building.

The Town of Comox’s application remains before the Court, with the next court date scheduled for October 2018.


Watch for more updates in the fall of 2018.

More Information

Questions? Call 250-339-2202 or email